March is a good month. Mostly because three out of the six family members celebrate their birthday in March and you know what that means right? Cake! Lots of it. When I was younger, my mom would always make our traditional birthday cake with lots of chocolate and M&Ms on top. But when my baking addiction kicked in it was my responsibility to make something special for each birthday boy or girl. And since my brother loves Oreo cookies, it was obvious that I had to make something involving chocolate and Oreos.
I´ve tried different recipes for Oreo cakes before. If found this recipe in the new edition of Sweet Paul and I knew I just had to try it. It was similar to the recipes I´ve made before but just a little bit fancier. And as you can see, the result was stunning. Doesn´t it look beautiful? Well, I have to admit that the cake only lasted that way for 10 Minutes. Then, as I was trying to get a good picture, the background collapsed and smashed half of the cake. It was a bit cricked afterwards and since I didn´t have much frosting left, the end result looked a bit different from what I am presenting to you. Oh well, nobody´s perfect. It still tasted great!
The cake is made of four layers. Between each layer comes a mixture of whipped cream, confectioners´sugar and Oreo cookies. All of that is topped with some delicious frosting and decorated with some more Oreo cookies. The whole thing is neither very light, nor healthy but let´s just ignore that for now. It´s a birthday party!
I used a 20 cm cake pan, because I like it when the cake is slightly smaller and higher. You could use a larger pan if you like. It might even be easier to decorate, since you are not panicking about the whole thing collapsing every moment.
You can decorate the cake as you wish. I used a piping bag to add little flowers on top of the cake. You could also leave it plain just with frosting or decorate the whole thing. Go crazy. Just don´t forget the Oreo cookies.
480 g soft butter
270 g sugar
160 g flour
135 g cocoa powder
1 1/2 tbsp. baking powder
160 ml milk
20 oreo cookies
190 g cream cheese
280 g confectioners´sugar
250 g cream
400 g dark chocolate
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1) Melt 60 g butter and let cool. With an electric mixer, mix eggs and sugar until you get a fluffy, white mixture and all the sugar has dissolved. Add flour, 35 g cocoa powder and baking powder, together with milk and melted butter.
2) Crush 10 Oreo cookies and add to the dough. Put the dough in two butterd cake pans and bake in the preheated oven at 180°C for about 30 minutes. If the dough gets to dark, put tin foil on top until it is done. Let the cake cool completely. Then, use a knife to cut the cake in half horizontally.
3) For the filling, mix cream cheese and 55 g confectioners´sugar. Whip 200 g cream and add to the mixture. Add 4 crushed oreo cookies.
4) Place one cake on a cake plate or cake stand. Spread 1/3 of the filling on top and add another cake. Spread with filling and add another cake, until the whole cake is assembled.
5) For the frosting, melt the chocolate and let cool. Beat 420 g soft butter with 225 g confectioner´s sugar until fluffy. Add the melted chocolate, vanilla extract, 50 g cream and 100 g cocoa powder. Mix until you get a nice and shiny frosting.
6) Spread the frosting on top of the cake and along the sides and decorate as you please.